Politics

Benue Governor Ortom Finally Defects From APC To PDP

*** Those defected from APC to PDP are “share the money” Politicians– Oshiomole

*** Presidency Reacts to Police Invasion of Saraki, Ekweremadu’s House

…Absolves Buhari of Any Involvement in the Raid

 

 

 

Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom has announced his defection from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

 

His defection puts an end to speculations about his imminent return to the PDP having stated last week that he had been issued a ‘red card’.

 

The governor made the announcement on Wednesday during a meeting with elected local government chairmen and councillors at the Government House Makurdi, hours after protesting youths barred him from traveling to Abuja to attend the APC reconciliation meeting.

 

His defection follows major political decisions in the state over the last three weeks, all of which had fuelled the speculations of his exit.

 

Governor Ortom recently sacked a large chunk of his cabinet members while the Benue House of Assembly impeached Mr. Terkimbi Ikyange as its Speaker.

 

 

 

 

The National Chairman of the governing All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, has said that he is happy that some members of the Senate and House of Representatives left his party for opposition parties.

 

 

Mr Oshiomhole, who spoke with State House correspondents after meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, said those who left are “mercenaries” who were in APC just to win election.

 

He said the governing party is “not disturbed at all” and that he is not losing sleep over the defections.

 

Mr Oshiomhole also said it is good that those who never believed in the APC are leaving ahead of the electioneering activities because that would enable the party concentrate on its campaigns.

 

 

He said those who defected cannot affect the electoral fortunes of APC because President Muhammadu Buhari got more votes than them in their own constituencies in the last election.

 

He described the defectors as right wing politicians who believe in the philosophy of “share the money” and did not belong to the progressives group.

He said even while they were in the APC, they constituted themselves as opposition to the ruling party.

 

 

The Presidency has reacted to the invasion of the home of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu saying the president has no hands in the controversial raid.

In a statement issued by Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President

(Media & Publicity), the presidency frowned at what it described as an “orchestrated campaign against President Muhammadu Buhari each time a Very Important Person (VIP) is invited by the law enforcement agencies.”

The statement further reads:

 

“The law of the land is intended for all, not for the poor or those at the lowest rungs of the social ladder.

 

“It is odd, strange and bizarre that while ordinary citizens can be called up to answer questions or be interrogated, the VIP cannot be questioned without the annoying insinuations of partisanship, persecution or outright politicization.

 

“The workings of law enforcement agencies are set out in the constitution and the laws of the country. If they worked at the discretion of past presidents, who decided who to question and who to detain, Nigerians should get used to the fact that this President is different. President Buhari does not and will not influence or interfere with cases.

 

“The constitution clearly directs law enforcement agencies to promptly report and investigate any actual or potential infringement of the law and also initiate proceedings against all those involved.

 

“This President is not the one who directs them on what to do.

“The President’s constant refrain is that he will not tolerate any form of illegality including corruption and the law enforcement agencies have been given complete freedom to identify and bring all culprits to justice. His instructions to them are very clear: Anyone with a case to answer or found guilty should not be spared.

 

“Accused persons should approach the courts to plead their innocence rather than going to the public to plead persecution.

 

“The country is better served when the law enforcement agencies are allowed to do their work and we must stop the actors of this dangerous game of politicizing law enforcement.”

 

On Tuesday the Nigerian Police blocked the residences of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki  and his deputy with a view to arresting them but failed to make any arrest.

 

Some Nigerians have condemned the invasion describing it as political persecution.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
towncrierng

Recent Posts

RIVERS PDP TURNS WIKE LOYALISTS TO SECURITY GUARDS, PLANS DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE

By Memoye Oghu The acting chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Rivers state,…

2 months ago

Fake News! No presidential order to reinstate Obasa

  Claims that President Bola Tinubu has ordered the reinstatement of former Lagos State House…

2 months ago

Comptroller Babandede Charges Newly Promoted Officers On Greater Service and Competence

  The Customs Controller, Area 2 Command, Onne, Comptroller Muhammad Babandede has charged newly promoted…

2 months ago

Activist slams Obasa: Warns against provoking Lagos unrest

    Dr. Wale Ajewunmi, a prominent civil and political rights activist, has urged former…

2 months ago

Lagos Assembly fires back: Obasa’s impeachment stands

  The Lagos State House of Assembly has firmly responded to former Speaker Mudashiru Obasa’s…

2 months ago

Rivers: Supreme Court Fixes February 10 To Hear Five Cases

  The Supreme Court, today, fixed February 10, 2025, for the hearing of five separate…

2 months ago